But this morning the psalm was Psalm 86, which ends
Show me a sign of your favor,Now I'm always weary of seeking signs, having too many examples in my so far short life already of how wrong people go by them, in addition to Jesus' own admonition. But this caught my eye. Then comes the selection from Jeremiah, which includes a letter to the exiles in Babylon:
that those who hate me may see and be put to shame
because you, LORD, have helped me and comforted me. (v17 ESV)
"Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat their produce. Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare. (Jeremiah 29:4-7 ESV)So anyway, I thought that an interesting juxtaposition. What some might call coincidence. Or maybe God is saying to us, like He said to the exiles, life is hard where I've put you, but settle down and make the best of it, because you're going to be there awhile.
And the crowning irony? This morning I found a volunteer tomato plant next to our house. Having had no time whatsoever to garden, this is an amazing Grace to me. Less than five minutes before reading these passages, which specifically mention gardening. Perhaps God has a plan after all, and perhaps it really is Good.
No comments:
Post a Comment